Monday, July 18, 2011

Sunset and Chocolate Cake

Koukouvagia.

Dinner is served.


I slept until 2:30 or so today; my body is no longer on a schedule of any sorts.  Dimitri and I went to the beach around 4 and stayed for a few hours.  I finished The Alchemist and had it on my mind and in conversation with D for the next few hours.  We came home after 7 to shower and head out for the sunset, which we didn't quite make.  He took me to a place called Koukouvagia, which means 'owl' in English.  It's a restaurant/bar/cafe (as most places are in Chania/Crete) that has the most extraordinary panoramic view of Chania and the sea.  It's also adorned with the coolest owl-themed artwork, which I'll have to take pictures of next time we go.  Since day one of being here I have been hearing from Dimitris and Haris about Koukouvagia's amazing, to die for, warm chocolate cake that is served with vanilla ice cream.  I'm usually not a chocolate cake fan but I have never, ever, in my life tasted any kind of cake that was as delicious as this.  The two of us didn't manage to finish a single slice if that gives you any idea how filling and rich it was. 

We did our best to catch the sunset before it went behind the mountain but by the time we got to Koukouvagia it had already gone down.  The sky, however, was still illuminated with the brightest and warmest colors you could imagine.  We ate on the patio, which overlooks the entire city and coast of Chania to the left,  and a vast, open sea to the right.  Once again: I'm in paradise.

At least we caught the sunset from the car...

This was taken from the car and it's such a bummer that it's blurry!


The left-side view from Koukouvagia


The right-side view from Koukouvagia





No comments:

Post a Comment